Home   ·   Index   ·   Search

Across crossWeb

These instructions will help you get started using the Across online web interface crossWeb.
It requires no installation or updates, and works on most web browsers (but best to use Internet Explorer).

Using crossWeb

Log in to crossWeb at http://als.stptrans.com/crossWeb using the user name and password given to you by the PM.
These will be the same credentials that you use to log in using Across Online Client (STP in-house staff) or Across Translator Edition (freelance translators) – the user name is stored in the CAP file.

My Tasks shows you all tasks assigned to your login, either as a translator or a reviser. Check the project name in the Project column against the information provided by your PM, and make sure you only work on tasks relating to your current project.

Click Confirm/Reject to confirm the project.


After confirming, you can select to open the translation or revision task assigned to you in the crossDesk editor.

  • The source text and the target text are displayed next to each other in the Context View.
  • Type in your translation in the Target Editor, located in the middle.
  • The bottom pane combines two functions: fuzzy search for searching for segment level matches in the crossTank translation memory, and concordance search for searching for individual words/phrases in the crossTank translation memory. The bottom view also has a tab for crossSearch, this is for customised Internet searches.
  • On the right-hand side of the editor, matching entries from the crossTerm terminology database are displayed.
  • crossView on the left-hand side of the editor contains tabs for spellchecking and QA checking, searching for source and target content in the file, viewing the source in tree-view format, viewing any attachments and segment filters.

You can find a quick overview of the functions on this page: Icons & Context Menus

To ensure optimal leverage during translation: Mark translated segments as Translated as you go through them rather than leaving them as Touched. By doing this you will get the full "fuzzy match" benefit from your own work as you go along, not just the fuzzies already present in the client TM at the start of the projet. Marking segments as Translated writes new records to translator's crossTank TM. As long as translator does NOT "finish" and deliver the task, records from one task will pull for the next task because they are still in the local tank. This is a useful hint for small projects with repetition between them if they have the same due date. Do not delay delivery to keep the Tank populated.

Main keyboard shortcuts

    CTRL + SHIFT + R to mark a segment translated and update the TM
    CTRL + ALT + ENTER to mark a segment translated, update the TM, and move to the next segment
    CTRL + SHIFT + number to copy a tag from source to target (1, 2, 3 etc. depending on the number of tags in the source)
    SHIFT + ALT + number to copy placeables with a blue overline from source to target
    ALT + number of term entry (hold down both keys) to insert crossTerm entry
    ALT + INSERT to insert crossTank TM match into target
    ALT + PLUS to move to the next segment
    CTRL + SHIFT + down arrow to move to next untouched segment (if you wish to skip pretranslated segments during your first translation round)
    CTRL + SHIFT + C to search Concordance on highlighted term in source or target
    ALT + Page Down to copy source to target
    A full list of shortcuts can be found here (click the arrows on the page to expand). 


Depending on how the project has been prepared, there may be:

  • Locked segments with grey background: these are not to be edited
  • Pretranslated 100% matches, marked Touched : for review if they are unlocked
  • Pretranslated structural or context matches, marked Touched : for review if they are unlocked
  • 100% matches coming from the crossTank TM, which are not pre-translated in the file: for review

Once you mark a segment Translated it will display the icon . Note that auto-propagation propagates all identical segments, but marks them as Touched unless you configure them to propagate the paragaph status as well as the actual translation in Profile > crossDesk > Autopropagation.

All segments should have the status Translated before a task is marked finished.


From Across 6.3, crossWeb now has segment filters in the crossView panel. Using this tab, you can select and combine various filters.

A note will be displayed above the Context View if a filter has been applied. You can also update the display of filtered content, e.g. if the paragraphs no longer reflect the filter criteria due to changes made to these paragraphs after applying the filter. If necessary, you can reset the filter entirely.

In addition to filtering, you can also sort segments by using the options in the drop-down menu above the Context View. When you want to clear the selection, select No sorting from the list.

TM usage

Treat the first TM entry with initial caution: The client TM often consists of several options for one term. Scroll down the list of TM hits to ascertain which option best fits the context.

Please note that the TM matches do not come in "reliability order" - so the first one is indeed not necessarily the most recent/best/trustworthy translation. Someone once asked if the different number/grading in the TM matches mean something but as far as we know, they don't tell you anything about how "good" that particular translation from the TM really is.


Concordance searches are displayed next to the TM matches tab at the bottom of the editor.

You can search for a term in the source or target segments in the current file by clicking on the magnifying glass icon in crossView on the left-hand side of the screen. This search allows you to search in both source and target, but it does not allow you to do Search and Replace.

To do Search and Replace in the target, use the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + H. The good thing about this is that is shows you all the occurrences in a list of hyperlinks which take you to the location if you want to see it in the context. That means that you can check that it will replace all the relevant occurrences before doing it. If there are occurrences you don't want to replace, simply untick them in the window.